Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Purple Wildflowers

n the past few years I've read about and have seen more interest in wildflowers, so I figure it's about time I jump in and add my two cents.
I have watched in despair as some of my friends have created a wildflower bed in their yards, and have ended up with the biggest, ugliest patch of weeds I have ever seen. Why did they get weeds instead of wildflowers?
Two reasons.
One, they were armed with a lack of good information, and two, they were led to believe that planting a beautiful bed of wildflowers is so easy that a child could do it. Actually, a child could do it, and with great success. But only if that child were extremely lucky, or had a basic understanding of exactly how to plant a bed of wildflowers and achieve incredible success.
In the next few minutes I intend to arm you with enough good information so you can successfully plant a beautiful bed of wildflowers, and have your neighbors hanging over the fence asking you how ya did it.
First of all, you've got to understand what kind of a neighborhood wildflowers like to live in. They tend to prefer wide open spaces with at least 8 hours of sunshine each day. It's true, they are sun worshipers. They also like the soil to be rich in nutrients, and well drained. They don't like hard packed soil, and they don't like to get their sneakers wet, only for short periods of time.








No comments:

Post a Comment